Nourish - Liturgy Resources

I always seem to have a topic that is guiding my personal study.

Last summer, the main focus was the philosophy of Charlotte Mason, which continues to inform and educate my thinking on education and life with children in general.

This year, and especially this summer, I have been thinking a lot about the concept of liturgy.  I talked a little about in this post detailing our spring routine and I'll write more about it when I share our new-ish fall routine.  A truly excellent part of this is that many of my friends have been digging into the topic of liturgy as well.  Consequently, there has been a plethora of thoughtful posts ruminating on the concept.

photo by Gabi Agu


Rather than try to intelligently regurgitate all I've read (and continue to digest), I'm going to collect a few of my links and quotes below:


Jenny Rallens - The Liturgical Classroom and Virtue Formation
Followup discussion

This video talk was probably the tipping point for me.  After I watched it, the concept of liturgy and lectio divina started popping up every where I turned.  It was shared by my friend Heidi at Mt Hope Chronicles, and I have since shared it with my friends, with my fellow educators, with the parents in my CC Essentials class, with the people involved in worship and children's ministry in my church - basically anyone I have an email address for.  It is *that* good.


The Importance of Living a Liturgy - at Between the Linens

In a post both stirring and practical, Ashley writes,
"Liturgy will calibrate the soul of your family especially the fresh innocent souls of your children. Childhood is the invitation to wonder, and wonder responds to cultivation of beauty. . .In order to learn virtue, we need an atmosphere that facilitates wonder and beauty. We need to appeal to our senses; we need to create a liturgy that invites us to fall into wonder. . .Creating a sense of the sacred around our mundane lives is a gift to our children and to the rest of society."

Lectio Divina - at The Art of Simple

From the post:
"One of my favorite definitions of prayer is that it is the practice of paying attention. Not merely that you must pay attention while you’re praying, but that prayer itself is the act of attending: to God, but also to the beauty – and ugliness – before us. . . . Paying attention is the precursor to so many critical virtues: how can I be grateful or compassionate or wise or loving if I have not first paid attention?"
What is liturgy if not the act of laying down habits that cause you to pay attention when you otherwise might not?


"A garden, a museum, a table, a church—which is to say a monastery”

A fascinating discussion on Facebook that Heidi (who says Facebook is always a divisive waste of time!) captured and distilled on her blog.  The discussion started from this question of Heidi's:
"I've been avoiding organizing and planning for the coming school year (paralyzed, really), but those four words have been running though my mind and heart: a garden, museum, table, and church. What do these mean? How would you model a school after these four elements? How would they inform your day or the content of your lessons? Are they physical realities or metaphorical? Both? How?"

Liturgy Letter

"Resources for engaging the Revised Common Lectionary."
Our church follows the Revised Common Lectionary, so this newsletter dovetails with our Sunday worship, but I think it is relevant and useful for anyone looking for different ways to engage with and contemplate scripture (e.g. song, art, guided prayer).  The weekly newsletter also has includes a prayer form for children and families.  We haven't been able to adopt it completely, but I find it so useful as a target.  I've been working pieces of the prayer form into our morning symposium this fall and I love it.  The site as a whole is an interesting resource that I'm looking forward to digging into deeper.


The Liturgy of Seasons

Lectio Divina in practice.  Here, Heidi takes the lectio divina practices of collecting, connecting, and creating, and uses them to gather and process some thoughts around the ideas of liturgy and seasons and life rhythms.  Lovely.  I like her process so much, I'm going to give it a try myself in coming posts.


Choosing What is Best: A Conversation with Christopher Perrin

In this podcast: "Dr. Perrin encourages us to develop liturgical practices for Morning Time that can set the stage for scholé in our homes, and he provides us with examples of restful learning that can work in real life, even with wiggly, noisy kids like mine."

The Classical Homeschool Podcast: Episode 3 (or any episode)

 From the show notes for episode 3 Ancient Liturgies for the Modern Homeschool: "In this episode, we tackle the differences between ancient man and modern man. . .What are the differences? How do those differences affect our lives? Our homeschools? Our souls? Why do we align ourselves with the ancient man in classical education?

As we further examine the attitude of the ancient man and the transformative power of education, we identify how important normative questions are to building the moral foundations of a man as well as the experiences of knowledge that lead man to have relationships with the knowledge.

Living Liturgy Planner 

Free printable planning page.


Creating a Morning Liturgy

A discussion of creating a morning liturgy in your homeschool and a printable planning page.


Comments

Popular Posts