Sunday Morning Musings: Mountains and Valleys


In the book of Matthew, we are told about the baptism of Jesus and the dove landing on his head (chapter 3, verses 13-17).  ". . . and behold, a voice from heaven said, "This is my beloved Son, whom I am well pleased."  So Jesus has what is arguably the best experience of his earthly life, and it seems like he could just hang out and relish the parental love bestowed upon him.  Then.  The first word of chapter 4 is "Then. . ."  "Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil."  Not only does Jesus immediately leave behind this great spiritual experience to be stuck wandering around in the desert, the Bible makes it clear that God led him there.

I'm not saying that The Dirty Dash was a mountaintop spiritual experience, but it clearly was a victory of sorts.  I guess then it should come as no surprise, that my mountaintop was immediately followed by a valley.  There is a force in the world that wants us stuck on our couches alone.  Frolicking in the mud and telling other people about how much fun it was?  Not ok.  So it really should be no surprise that a dark valley followed my success.  Still seriously annoying though, and I will be quite pleased to move past this valley as soon as I can.

Comments

Popular Posts