Sunday Morning Musings: Praise

This post is related to this post on singing from a while back.
image source






This idea of praise has been, well, hammering me lately.  It started with this little section from my daily devotional:


"I had recently received bad news from home, and deep shadows of darkness seemed to cover my soul.  I prayed, but the darkness remained.  I forced myself to endure but the shadows only deepened.  Then suddenly one day, as I entered a missionary's home. . .I saw these words on the wall: "Try giving thanks."  So I did, and in a moment every shadow was gone, never to return.  Yes, the psalmist was right: "It is good to praise the Lord" (Psalm 92:1)."
Henry W. Frost, as quoted in




And then came along a situation my life that made me mad.  I mean, really mad.  Grinding my teeth, barely not slamming doors, barely not screaming (for the sake of the children) mad.  I don't remember now exactly what "it" was, but I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with my husband or my children; they never make me mad.  Anyway, I prayed a number of times over the situation and just could not find relief.  Desperate prayers for peace were winging heavenward and I was still chomping down Tums.  Ugh.  Then my eyes fell on song lyrics I have hanging right in front of my kitchen sink, (since that's where I spend so much of my day!) and I remembered the Frost quote.  Get your mind off your own puny problems and praise Me, was the ever-so gentle answer I heard.  Ever tried to sing when you are angry?  Um, not pretty.  But I kept at it, and by the second verse I was TOTALLY FREE from the anger that had ruined my entire morning.  And to top it all off, as I got to the end of the song, Ava called from the other room, "Mom!  I love you soooo much!"  Happy sigh.


To finish off this post, I heard this song today at church, through a guest worship team.  So so good.  The song is called the Desert Song, by the group Hillsong.  Listen to the whole song here.






image source


The Desert Song Lyrics:

VERSE 2:

This is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flame

CHORUS:
And I will bring praise, I will bring praise
No weapon formed against me shall remain
I will rejoice, I will declare
God is my victory and He is here 
BRIDGE:
All of my life, In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship



Comments

Popular Posts